[ubuntu-uk] www.ubuntu-uk.org
Michael Wood
2007-05-08 23:07:26 UTC
Hi

As per the last ubuntu-uk meeting i've been working on the ubuntu-uk.org
website. Porting it over to the current ubuntu main page design and
adding some features.

- Drop down menu with all the wiki pages on
- Banner image rotates round various pictures of the UK

The development version of the site is at http://www.ubuntu-uk.org/dev/
Please post any feedback.

Once this site is acceptable we can then switch it over to the live site.

Things to consider doing (longer term): Calendar, photo gallery and
integrating mailing list/planet/pastebin/forum/launchpad team? into main
page, getting it xhtml strict validating wai etc

regards,

Michael Wood
--
/\/\ichael [ email at michaelwood.me.uk ]
\/\/ood [ http://michaelwood.me.uk ]
Chris Rowson
2007-05-08 23:31:41 UTC
Hey there,

I think it'll look great once it's been ported across to the new site
design, the site's looking really promising.

One thing that does strike me however is the banner across the top.

I'm not sure the ubuntu-uk logo needs repeating again in the banner.
I'm not that fond of the picture of a mountain landscape either. It
seems a little out of place.

May I suggest that top left ubuntu-uk logo is made a tiny little bit
larger, the picture in the centre of the banner be replaced with some
headline text (like the ubuntu.com site) and the left most banner
picture on the left have the ubuntu-uk logo removed.

I've also checked out the wiki pages, and again these look pretty
funky! The only gripe I'd have is the banner image of the cityscape.
I'm not sure how it fits in really. Something plainer might look a
little more in keeping like an image primarily made of simple color
without detail, and I don't know if it needs the ubuntu logo again,
the repetition makes it loose it's impact.

Well, that's my tuppence worth. Please don't take my comments as
negative, you're doing a cracking job and if you'd like any help at
all please don't hesitate to get in touch. The website will definitely
look a lot more professional with the new template design.

Regards

Chris
Alan Pope
2007-05-09 07:37:55 UTC
Post by Chris Rowson
Hey there,
I think it'll look great once it's been ported across to the new site
design, the site's looking really promising.
One thing that does strike me however is the banner across the top.
I'm not sure the ubuntu-uk logo needs repeating again in the banner.
I'm not that fond of the picture of a mountain landscape either. It
seems a little out of place.
Refresh your browser, the image changes. There was originally just a picture
of a London landscape, but it was decided that it would be more appropriate
for the whole UK if the picture changed.

I suggested that people could submit their own pictures, which would mean
yet another way people could get involved.

Cheers,
Al.
Peter Lewis
2007-05-09 07:59:52 UTC
Post by Alan Pope
Post by Chris Rowson
One thing that does strike me however is the banner across the top.
I'm not sure the ubuntu-uk logo needs repeating again in the banner.
I'm not that fond of the picture of a mountain landscape either. It
seems a little out of place.
Refresh your browser, the image changes. There was originally just a
picture of a London landscape, but it was decided that it would be more
appropriate for the whole UK if the picture changed.
I suggested that people could submit their own pictures, which would mean
yet another way people could get involved.
I really like this feature / idea.

Good work!

Pete.
TheVeech
Where can I submit some and what dimensions?
Alan Pope
2007-05-09 08:39:35 UTC
Post by TheVeech
Where can I submit some and what dimensions?
I dont think we have a process yet, but if we uploaded the whole site to bzr
then it would be nice to encourage members to use that for uploading
pictures. If nothing else it would increase awareness and use of
launchpad/bzr.

Cheers,
Al.
TheVeech
2007-05-09 09:37:46 UTC
Post by Alan Pope
Post by TheVeech
Where can I submit some and what dimensions?
I dont think we have a process yet, but if we uploaded the whole site to bzr
then it would be nice to encourage members to use that for uploading
pictures. If nothing else it would increase awareness and use of
launchpad/bzr.
Dunno about bzr, TBH. I can see quite a few people looking at it and
not bothering. I'm not thinking about how easy or complex bzr may be,
but the potential gaps this highlights elsewhere.

Yahoo's apparently selling its independence to another company, so I've
been looking around at alternatives to their services for FLOSS users
like me, who like the approach and trust that usually goes with that way
of doing things.

There isn't much, which leads me to wonder: even though Linux is gaining
a lot more 'non-geek' users, does the approach of the 'geek days' still
dominate how we do things in areas that may be preventing us from
adapting enough to new users' needs and making the most of the
influences they might bring?

Why aren't there prominent services like, say, Flickr or Gmail, by our
community for people who prefer the FLOSS way of doing things and don't
want to be tied to a company that retains the option to sell users short
(even though Novell contradicted this, this is by far the exception to
the rule)? AFAIK, there's very little in this area, maybe because to
get the quality of software we have, a lot of us have to place the
emphasis more more on how software works, rather than examining what we
could potentially do with it?

At the moment, I can pick many alternative services to, say, Flickr, but
the independent ones are usually only independent because they exist to
be bought out. Sod that.

In this instance, for photos to the Ubuntu-UK site, I'd like to be able
to upload photos to a social photo-sharing site and make this known
through web-based email, all via high-quality projects run by the FLOSS
community. IMHO, what's happening with Yahoo! makes this a good time to
be thinking about it and about another possibility for indirectly
promoting FLOSS.
Alan Pope
2007-05-09 09:53:16 UTC
Post by TheVeech
Post by Alan Pope
Post by TheVeech
Where can I submit some and what dimensions?
I dont think we have a process yet, but if we uploaded the whole site to bzr
then it would be nice to encourage members to use that for uploading
pictures. If nothing else it would increase awareness and use of
launchpad/bzr.
Dunno about bzr, TBH. I can see quite a few people looking at it and
not bothering. I'm not thinking about how easy or complex bzr may be,
but the potential gaps this highlights elsewhere.
Surely if you were told how to do it, it would pretty easy. I dont see this
thing being done every day by every Ubuntu-UK loco member, so it's not
exactly a headache.

It would also be a great learning exercise because bzr is used heavily in
Ubuntu. It would be a nice way to get people learning how to use a versions
control system.
Post by TheVeech
There isn't much, which leads me to wonder: even though Linux is gaining
a lot more 'non-geek' users, does the approach of the 'geek days' still
dominate how we do things in areas that may be preventing us from
adapting enough to new users' needs and making the most of the
influences they might bring?
There is nothing "geek" about using a service such as bzr to upload an
image. It is just an application. Difference is it doesn't have a funky web
2.0 frontend.
Post by TheVeech
Why aren't there prominent services like, say, Flickr or Gmail, by our
community for people who prefer the FLOSS way of doing things and don't
want to be tied to a company that retains the option to sell users short
(even though Novell contradicted this, this is by far the exception to
the rule)? AFAIK, there's very little in this area, maybe because to
get the quality of software we have, a lot of us have to place the
emphasis more more on how software works, rather than examining what we
could potentially do with it?
That's a massive sentence and I don't understand what you are asking.
Post by TheVeech
At the moment, I can pick many alternative services to, say, Flickr, but
the independent ones are usually only independent because they exist to
be bought out. Sod that.
This is making bzr sound much more attractive.
Post by TheVeech
In this instance, for photos to the Ubuntu-UK site, I'd like to be able
to upload photos to a social photo-sharing site and make this known
through web-based email, all via high-quality projects run by the FLOSS
community. IMHO, what's happening with Yahoo! makes this a good time to
be thinking about it and about another possibility for indirectly
promoting FLOSS.
You seem to be contradicting yourself.

"Social network sites are evil because they can be bought by evil companies"

"I don't want to use an open system to upload my images, I'd like to use an
evil social networking site".

Call me thick. I don't get it. Short sentences work well on me.

Cheers,
Al.
TheVeech
2007-05-09 11:23:49 UTC
Post by Alan Pope
Post by TheVeech
Post by Alan Pope
Post by TheVeech
Where can I submit some and what dimensions?
I dont think we have a process yet, but if we uploaded the whole site to bzr
then it would be nice to encourage members to use that for uploading
pictures. If nothing else it would increase awareness and use of
launchpad/bzr.
Dunno about bzr, TBH. I can see quite a few people looking at it and
not bothering. I'm not thinking about how easy or complex bzr may be,
but the potential gaps this highlights elsewhere.
Surely if you were told how to do it, it would pretty easy. I dont see this
thing being done every day by every Ubuntu-UK loco member, so it's not
exactly a headache.
Yes, I've never used it, but it looks simple enough. Specific
instructions for using it in this context would save time, though.
Post by Alan Pope
It would also be a great learning exercise because bzr is used heavily in
Ubuntu. It would be a nice way to get people learning how to use a versions
control system.
Never had to use one. What are the options?
Post by Alan Pope
Post by TheVeech
There isn't much, which leads me to wonder: even though Linux is gaining
a lot more 'non-geek' users, does the approach of the 'geek days' still
dominate how we do things in areas that may be preventing us from
adapting enough to new users' needs and making the most of the
influences they might bring?
There is nothing "geek" about using a service such as bzr to upload an
image. It is just an application. Difference is it doesn't have a funky web
2.0 frontend.
No, there's nothing geek - most people may just not be aware of it, but
more aware of other methods of sharing and submitting data. For getting
images to the webmaster, more people will be aware of photo-sharing
sites than VCSs.

If there's any link regarding 'geekness' here, it's that photo-sharing
sites are designed more to encourage greater sociability between people,
whereas VCSs focus more on enabling groups to work towards getting 'the
job' done.
Post by Alan Pope
Post by TheVeech
Why aren't there prominent services like, say, Flickr or Gmail, by our
community for people who prefer the FLOSS way of doing things and don't
want to be tied to a company that retains the option to sell users short
(even though Novell contradicted this, this is by far the exception to
the rule)? AFAIK, there's very little in this area, maybe because to
get the quality of software we have, a lot of us have to place the
emphasis more more on how software works, rather than examining what we
could potentially do with it?
That's a massive sentence and I don't understand what you are asking.
It's about as massive as asking why aren't there more of the social
websites for, e.g., photography, by the FLOSS community. I can
appreciate you being peeved about a geek link with bzr, but the supposed
complexity of that paragraph has no bearing on your opinion or the
'geekishness' or otherwise of bzr.

'Funkiness' we can scoff at, but usability we can't. 'Funkiness' means
sweet FA without usability. Flickr has both. Bzr's lack of a 'funky'
frontend perhaps just means that there's different tools for different
tasks, since the mere existence of a GUI doesn't necessarily mean an
application is more usable.

The question remains, though: why do we neglect things like Flickr and
Gmail?
Post by Alan Pope
Post by TheVeech
At the moment, I can pick many alternative services to, say, Flickr, but
the independent ones are usually only independent because they exist to
be bought out. Sod that.
This is making bzr sound much more attractive.
That's the point! I want options like this in other areas, too.
Post by Alan Pope
Post by TheVeech
In this instance, for photos to the Ubuntu-UK site, I'd like to be able
to upload photos to a social photo-sharing site and make this known
through web-based email, all via high-quality projects run by the FLOSS
community. IMHO, what's happening with Yahoo! makes this a good time to
be thinking about it and about another possibility for indirectly
promoting FLOSS.
You seem to be contradicting yourself.
"Social network sites are evil because they can be bought by evil companies"
"I don't want to use an open system to upload my images, I'd like to use an
evil social networking site".
Call me thick. I don't get it. Short sentences work well on me.
This is dodgy logic all round.

The organisations behind some social network sites can take up a policy,
by agreeing to be bought out in a way that transforms the network, that
works against the interests of a number of users, whose views can be
disregarded, depending on the personalities running the organisations.
Alan Pope
2007-05-09 11:50:51 UTC
Post by TheVeech
Post by Alan Pope
Surely if you were told how to do it, it would pretty easy. I dont see this
thing being done every day by every Ubuntu-UK loco member, so it's not
exactly a headache.
Yes, I've never used it, but it looks simple enough. Specific
instructions for using it in this context would save time, though.
This will of course happen once the stuff is in place - assuming we decide
to put the site in bzr. I just spoke to Jono and he is keen for us to do
this also.
Post by TheVeech
Never had to use one. What are the options?
I'd suggest that we have a small wiki page detailing how to upload picture
rather than discussing the various options in mails on the list.
Post by TheVeech
Post by Alan Pope
There is nothing "geek" about using a service such as bzr to upload an
image. It is just an application. Difference is it doesn't have a funky web
2.0 frontend.
No, there's nothing geek - most people may just not be aware of it, but
more aware of other methods of sharing and submitting data. For getting
images to the webmaster, more people will be aware of photo-sharing
sites than VCSs.
They are only aware of them because they are familiar with them and thus
have probably used them. Before that they didn't. They had to learn. Why is
it so hard for someone to spare a brain cell or five and learn something new
rather than bitch on about using some different utterly unrelated
technology?
Post by TheVeech
If there's any link regarding 'geekness' here, it's that photo-sharing
sites are designed more to encourage greater sociability between people,
whereas VCSs focus more on enabling groups to work towards getting 'the
job' done.
Ok, I don't have time to sit and debate with you the pros and cons of
version control systems. I suspect that is for another time.
Post by TheVeech
It's about as massive as asking why aren't there more of the social
websites for, e.g., photography, by the FLOSS community. I can
appreciate you being peeved about a geek link with bzr, but the supposed
complexity of that paragraph has no bearing on your opinion or the
'geekishness' or otherwise of bzr.
I am not peeved, I just figured that learning bzr though uploading an image
is a useful skill to have. Any idiot with a browser can upload a picture to
flickr. How does that help anyone?
Post by TheVeech
'Funkiness' we can scoff at, but usability we can't. 'Funkiness' means
sweet FA without usability. Flickr has both. Bzr's lack of a 'funky'
frontend perhaps just means that there's different tools for different
tasks, since the mere existence of a GUI doesn't necessarily mean an
application is more usable.
I don't want to argue with you about this, I just don't have the time and
for the most part I agree with you, so this will end up being a pointless
discussion from my perspective.

Cheers,
Al.
TheVeech
2007-05-09 12:30:07 UTC
Post by Alan Pope
Post by TheVeech
Never had to use one. What are the options?
I'd suggest that we have a small wiki page detailing how to upload picture
rather than discussing the various options in mails on the list.
No, I'm not asking specifically for this task - I was just interested in
what's out there. No worries, I'll have a look.
Post by Alan Pope
Post by TheVeech
Post by Alan Pope
There is nothing "geek" about using a service such as bzr to upload an
image. It is just an application. Difference is it doesn't have a funky web
2.0 frontend.
No, there's nothing geek - most people may just not be aware of it, but
more aware of other methods of sharing and submitting data. For getting
images to the webmaster, more people will be aware of photo-sharing
sites than VCSs.
They are only aware of them because they are familiar with them and thus
have probably used them. Before that they didn't. They had to learn. Why is
it so hard for someone to spare a brain cell or five and learn something new
rather than bitch on about using some different utterly unrelated
technology?
Hey, easy tiger! Well I didn't make the direct link between the two
('elsewhere') - just that this way of doing things made me wonder why we
seem to lack these specific 'sociable' services that more people are
aware of, and which the proprietary world is doing more successfully at
the moment - like social-sharing photography sites.

Most people I've come across don't mind learning new things. With the
people you're referring to, what were the incentives for them to learn
what they did learn, since they had to learn that, too? So...why, and
why not VCS instead? Aside from caricaturing them, is it because people
tend to be more interested in the social aspects of things, because
they've got their 9-5 for the other stuff?

As for 'bitching', if we shouldn't ask these questions, why not -
eyeballs and bugs, and all that? I can learn new things and 'bitch'.
And I think both help.
Post by TheVeech
It's about as massive as asking why aren't there more of the social
websites for, e.g., photography, by the FLOSS community. I can
appreciate you being peeved about a geek link with bzr, but the supposed
complexity of that paragraph has no bearing on your opinion or the
'geekishness' or otherwise of bzr.
I am not peeved, I just figured that learning bzr though uploading an image
is a useful skill to have. Any idiot with a browser can upload a picture to
flickr. How does that help anyone?
LOL. Because any idiot might get more out of it through doing it this
way. Again, what's the incentives? People must get something out of
these social sites that isn't overtly helpful, but benefits people in
ways other than more goal-driven activities.
Al.
Chris Rowson
2007-05-09 12:42:55 UTC
Post by Alan Pope
This will of course happen once the stuff is in place - assuming we decide
to put the site in bzr. I just spoke to Jono and he is keen for us to do
this also.
Without getting embroiled in the discussion ;-)

Just in case anyone isn't really familiar with bazaar, I wrote a walk
through a couple of weeks ago on using it here...

http://www.justuber.com/blog/2007/04/25/how-to-use-bazaar-and-launchpad-for-hosting-your-code/

Chris
Alan Pope
2007-05-09 12:50:48 UTC
Post by TheVeech
Post by Alan Pope
They are only aware of them because they are familiar with them and thus
have probably used them. Before that they didn't. They had to learn. Why is
it so hard for someone to spare a brain cell or five and learn something new
rather than bitch on about using some different utterly unrelated
technology?
Hey, easy tiger! Well I didn't make the direct link between the two
('elsewhere') - just that this way of doing things made me wonder why we
seem to lack these specific 'sociable' services that more people are
aware of, and which the proprietary world is doing more successfully at
the moment - like social-sharing photography sites.
I have no idea what you're talking about. You are saying that flickr/google
video are proprietary social networking tools that "we" in the open source
community lack?
Post by TheVeech
So...why, and
why not VCS instead?
If we use bzr for sharing the photos that are used for our site then others
can easily check them in and out, modify them and we have all the benefits a
source control system has. Version management being one.
Post by TheVeech
Post by Alan Pope
I am not peeved, I just figured that learning bzr though uploading an image
is a useful skill to have. Any idiot with a browser can upload a picture to
flickr. How does that help anyone?
LOL. Because any idiot might get more out of it through doing it this
way. Again, what's the incentives? People must get something out of
these social sites that isn't overtly helpful, but benefits people in
ways other than more goal-driven activities.
This conversation is going in a direction I am not interested in and have no
time to contribute to this right now. I am only really interested in the
root topic of the website and adding a few photos from around the uk.

Cheers,
Al.
Tony Arnold
2007-05-09 13:17:10 UTC
Alan,
Post by Alan Pope
I have no idea what you're talking about. You are saying that flickr/google
video are proprietary social networking tools that "we" in the open source
community lack?
I think TheVeech is suggesting the open source community should
create/manage/run more social networking tools such as flickr etc.
rather than rely on big companies to do it for us and therefore
(perhaps) not provide support for Linux etc.

Personally, I think this would be very difficult. A service such as
Flickr must need huge resources for it to be successful (I mean in terms
of hardware, the disk space alone must be fairly huge). Such resources
do not come for free, so it either needs to be done by a company that is
earning money else where or the service itself has to get an income from
somewhere.

To be honest, I don't see the problem with Flickr! It's well supported
by F-spot. Perhaps rumours of some deal between Yahoo and Micro$oft is
worrying people.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold
TheVeech
2007-05-09 15:24:34 UTC
Post by Tony Arnold
Alan,
Post by Alan Pope
I have no idea what you're talking about. You are saying that flickr/google
video are proprietary social networking tools that "we" in the open source
community lack?
I think TheVeech is suggesting the open source community should
create/manage/run more social networking tools such as flickr etc.
rather than rely on big companies to do it for us and therefore
(perhaps) not provide support for Linux etc.
I hadn't thought of that last bit, but, yeah, that too!
Post by Tony Arnold
Personally, I think this would be very difficult. A service such as
Flickr must need huge resources for it to be successful (I mean in terms
of hardware, the disk space alone must be fairly huge). Such resources
do not come for free, so it either needs to be done by a company that is
earning money else where or the service itself has to get an income from
somewhere.
I've said this before, but I wouldn't mind paying as a way of
contributing to something that's in our interests - I couldn't see it
happening without some contributions - but run like the projects, to
provide the best web-based services we can. But these are ideas without
purpose, because I wouldn't know where to begin!

BTW, IIRC, Google just uses bog standard Hard Drives.
Post by Tony Arnold
To be honest, I don't see the problem with Flickr! It's well supported
by F-spot. Perhaps rumours of some deal between Yahoo and Micro$oft is
worrying people.
TBH, I haven't heard of anyone getting heated about this, but I've had
enough of the situation. All of 'em are just stuck in the food chain.
Flickr gets swallowed up by Yahoo!, Yahoo! is looking to being swallowed
up by MS, Roman Abramovich buys Pluto.
Josh Blacker
2007-05-09 15:41:49 UTC
Post by TheVeech
Post by Tony Arnold
To be honest, I don't see the problem with Flickr! It's well supported
by F-spot. Perhaps rumours of some deal between Yahoo and Micro$oft is
worrying people.
TBH, I haven't heard of anyone getting heated about this, but I've had
enough of the situation. All of 'em are just stuck in the food chain.
Flickr gets swallowed up by Yahoo!, Yahoo! is looking to being swallowed
up by MS, Roman Abramovich buys Pluto.
Post by Tony Arnold
Regards,
Tony.
Just to add to this:
"We use it, we love it, we are committed to its principles, we even make
some of it ourselves." is from a blog post on the Facebook blog (
http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=2223862130) . They apparently run
mostly linux servers and they used MySQL for their database needs (and it
must be one hell of a database). They also release advances they make back
to the open-source community, such as 'phpsh', whatever that might be! *And*
Mark Zuckerberg hasn't sold out (yet) despite at least one very high offer!
--
Josh Blacker
-------------- next part --------------
Post by TheVeech
Post by Tony Arnold
Personally, I think this would be very difficult. A service such as
Flickr must need huge resources for it to be successful (I mean in terms
of hardware, the disk space alone must be fairly huge). Such resources
do not come for free, so it either needs to be done by a company that is
earning money else where or the service itself has to get an income from
somewhere.
I've said this before, but I wouldn't mind paying as a way of
contributing to something that's in our interests - I couldn't see it
happening without some contributions - but run like the projects, to
provide the best web-based services we can. But these are ideas without
purpose, because I wouldn't know where to begin!
Many of these services are offered, at least in a limited form, for free
and then the really useful service is charged for. But even that needs a
sizeable initial investment to get going. Obviously possible, but way
beyond my knowledge base!
Post by TheVeech
BTW, IIRC, Google just uses bog standard Hard Drives.
Yes, but thousands of them!
Post by TheVeech
TBH, I haven't heard of anyone getting heated about this, but I've had
enough of the situation. All of 'em are just stuck in the food chain.
Flickr gets swallowed up by Yahoo!, Yahoo! is looking to being swallowed
up by MS, Roman Abramovich buys Pluto.
Does he know it's not a planet any more:-)

TheVeech
2007-05-09 20:31:26 UTC
Post by TheVeech
Roman Abramovich buys Pluto.
Does he know it's not a planet any more:-)
Does he know he's not a manager? Does he even know he's not a
planet :oO
John Levin
2007-05-09 16:04:58 UTC
This is a subject that has been exercising me recently (curese you
myspace!), so excuse venting and change of subject.
Post by Tony Arnold
Alan,
Post by Alan Pope
I have no idea what you're talking about. You are saying that flickr/google
video are proprietary social networking tools that "we" in the open source
community lack?
There certainly are the tools, although they aren't widely used (which
means, in this FLOSS context, that they aren't widely developed, or even
known off).

Leader of the FLOSS pack at the moment is mugshot: http://mugshot.org/main
Post by Tony Arnold
I think TheVeech is suggesting the open source community should
create/manage/run more social networking tools such as flickr etc.
rather than rely on big companies to do it for us and therefore
(perhaps) not provide support for Linux etc.
We need support for our desktop and OS, yes, but we also need the many
eyeballs to stomp bugs, improve security etc. A web application can (and
many do) benefit from the floss community just as much as, say, firefox,
ubuntu or the kernel.
Post by Tony Arnold
Personally, I think this would be very difficult. A service such as
Flickr must need huge resources for it to be successful (I mean in terms
of hardware, the disk space alone must be fairly huge). Such resources
do not come for free, so it either needs to be done by a company that is
earning money else where or the service itself has to get an income from
somewhere.
Remember that Ubuntu, Debian, etc need huge and ever expanding resources
for serving up increasing numbers of packages and isos; to help with
this there is a mirroring infrastructure, and that model could work with
the social web. At any rate, by being free n open, there are other ways
of dealing with bandwidth and hardware, rather than the centralised
system absolutely required of proprietory web services.
Post by Tony Arnold
To be honest, I don't see the problem with Flickr! It's well supported
by F-spot. Perhaps rumours of some deal between Yahoo and Micro$oft is
worrying people.
It's not free as in freedom: it suffers from lock-in (myspace is a far
worse offender in this sense), the users are not stakeholders, but
audience to be traded, etc; what applies to your desktop and operating
system applies also to one's web applications.

Okay, so far I've just been banging away on the benefits of free
software, and saying that this applies to web-application code, which
is, after all, *code*

There are many, very good, free web apps around: wordpress is the prime
example, being best of type in the blogging sphere.

But where is the FLOSS webmaster community? Is there such a thing? If
not, how shall we create it? And can such a thing take to heart the
ubuntu way, of making things usable and accessible? (And perhaps even:
polite :) )

Parting thought: this is going to affect *buntu-the-operating system,
because web services are getting so prevalent. In fact, it is affecting
it right now, proprietary formats are dominating the web (i.e. flash).

John
TheVeech
2007-05-09 20:11:42 UTC
Post by John Levin
This is a subject that has been exercising me recently (curese you
myspace!), so excuse venting and change of subject.
Post by Tony Arnold
Alan,
Post by Alan Pope
I have no idea what you're talking about. You are saying that flickr/google
video are proprietary social networking tools that "we" in the open source
community lack?
There certainly are the tools, although they aren't widely used (which
means, in this FLOSS context, that they aren't widely developed, or even
known off).
Leader of the FLOSS pack at the moment is mugshot: http://mugshot.org/main
Thanks. Had a look at this, but didn't realise it was FLOSS. I'd love
to hear more about these tools.
Post by John Levin
Post by Tony Arnold
I think TheVeech is suggesting the open source community should
create/manage/run more social networking tools such as flickr etc.
rather than rely on big companies to do it for us and therefore
(perhaps) not provide support for Linux etc.
We need support for our desktop and OS, yes, but we also need the many
eyeballs to stomp bugs, improve security etc. A web application can (and
many do) benefit from the floss community just as much as, say, firefox,
ubuntu or the kernel.
It'd help to see the new users coming along from different backgrounds
using their fresh eyeballs, too, to examine even more than this - things
we may have overlooked for years.
Post by John Levin
Post by Tony Arnold
Personally, I think this would be very difficult. A service such as
Flickr must need huge resources for it to be successful (I mean in terms
of hardware, the disk space alone must be fairly huge). Such resources
do not come for free, so it either needs to be done by a company that is
earning money else where or the service itself has to get an income from
somewhere.
Remember that Ubuntu, Debian, etc need huge and ever expanding resources
for serving up increasing numbers of packages and isos; to help with
this there is a mirroring infrastructure, and that model could work with
the social web. At any rate, by being free n open, there are other ways
of dealing with bandwidth and hardware, rather than the centralised
system absolutely required of proprietory web services.
Even though there's community aspects to distros' networks, have they
dealt (maybe less so in recent years) primarily with the 'survival of
the species' - technology to make technology better? Wasn't the GNU-GPL
initially designed mainly to protect programmers' rights before all
else? I don't know, but I think you're right that the way these
networks, and things like jabber and bittorrent, have shown they can
work for masses of people could be adapted to projects with a slightly
different emphasis. But is the imperative there yet?

I think the incentives behind FLOSS that I've read of are great for
tasks, but less productive for getting people socialising in ways that
you find on many of these sites. FWIW - and what makes it relevant here
- is that it seems that the benefits that such social networks could
have on productivity is a neglected area.

I don't think the reason we've neglected such networks is just because
they're proprietary and we're still too geeky, it's just that they
effectively got there before us. It might be that proprietary services
- OS and web - had to adapt sooner because they were hit with the
usability demands of general users earlier than us, and we're just
catching up. At times I still hear some sort of elitism from linux
users that flies in the face of key principles - I'm as guilty as anyone
of that - but this elitism isn't usually heartfelt and it's bound to
become less of an issue with time. We might just have to wait for that
time for 'socialising' sites like these to be seen as important in the
FLOSS world.
Post by John Levin
Post by Tony Arnold
To be honest, I don't see the problem with Flickr! It's well supported
by F-spot. Perhaps rumours of some deal between Yahoo and Micro$oft is
worrying people.
It's not free as in freedom: it suffers from lock-in (myspace is a far
worse offender in this sense), the users are not stakeholders, but
audience to be traded, etc; what applies to your desktop and operating
system applies also to one's web applications.
This is what gripes me a bit. I can get people using the OS, but when
they get here, what am I going to say? Screw Flickr, email your snaps
and see your mates down the pub? I'd get a predictable response no
matter how good my arguments were. Okay, it's not the most important
thing, but it's still something I can't do for people that could be
done. These people want something I can't offer, so they'll just go
elsewhere, and that elsewhere is probably going to be proprietary, with
formats and ideologies that reinforce the idea that proprietary works,
and with the idea that FLOSS must be for geeks because, to them, it
looks anti-social in comparison.
Post by John Levin
Okay, so far I've just been banging away on the benefits of free
software, and saying that this applies to web-application code, which
is, after all, *code*
There are many, very good, free web apps around: wordpress is the prime
example, being best of type in the blogging sphere.
There's Joomla and Drupal for CMS, which aren't too bad, either. Maybe
all the tools are there already and no-one's felt the need to adapt
them?
Post by John Levin
But where is the FLOSS webmaster community? Is there such a thing? If
not, how shall we create it? And can such a thing take to heart the
polite :) )
Hey, never let etiquette get in the way of a good text scrap! Must be
summat to do with the medium, because nearly everyone I know has had
their 'moments' online. I think we could do with a Ubuntu-UK meet
sometime - with contributors AND the silent ones!

There's hosts you can go to, who will allocate you space, but I'm not
sure how these work or what the criteria are for being accepted. AFAIK
they're there mainly for software projects and campaigns.

All I did, earlier this year, was grab myself some webspace for a
sandbox from the US when I thought the pound had peaked against the
dollar - it hadn't. So I wouldn't call myself a FLOSS webmaster, but a
webmaster trying to learn and make the most of it.

How anyone could get something off the ground, I don't know, but when
Ubuntu's site makes a principled statement, don't we believe it? That
level of trust would be something to aim for. If people had the
services our people are capable of producing, with the trust we can
offer, that'd be pretty unbeatable.
John
John Levin
2007-05-10 10:56:07 UTC
Post by TheVeech
This is a subject that has been exercising me recently (curse you
myspace!), so excuse venting and change of subject.
Post by Tony Arnold
Alan,
Post by Alan Pope
I have no idea what you're talking about. You are saying that flickr/google
video are proprietary social networking tools that "we" in the open source
community lack?
There certainly are the tools, although they aren't widely used (which
means, in this FLOSS context, that they aren't widely developed, or even
known off).
Leader of the FLOSS pack at the moment is mugshot: http://mugshot.org/main
Thanks. Had a look at this, but didn't realise it was FLOSS. I'd love
to hear more about these tools.
Mugshot is developed by Red Hat, as is OLPC; and both seem to be
combining for their latest idea, which is a 'global desktop':
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189541/red-hat-build-online-desktop

Strikes me that Red Hat are really innovating right now.
Post by TheVeech
We need support for our desktop and OS, yes, but we also need the many
eyeballs to stomp bugs, improve security etc. A web application can (and
many do) benefit from the floss community just as much as, say, firefox,
ubuntu or the kernel.
It'd help to see the new users coming along from different backgrounds
using their fresh eyeballs, too, to examine even more than this - things
we may have overlooked for years.
Absolutely. Just watch someone with little experience of the text
editors you get with Joomla or suchlike, and the process for making a
link is really difficult. (I don't use Joomla's editor, prefering to
write html, tags and all. It's quicker, and once you've learnt quite a
small vocabulary, you can get things done.)
Post by TheVeech
Post by Tony Arnold
[...]
Nope, the gpl is for everyone; to freely change and share. The trap is
that often you need coding skills to understand what it is you use.
That's why Ubuntu is so important, for the stress on usability,
accessibility and localisation.

<snip>
Post by TheVeech
Post by Tony Arnold
[...]
Yup. This is already a big problem, especially with flash. If people
can't play music, watch videos on youtube, ad nauseum, they're not going
to switch. The OS may be fine for what they do locally, but it's useless
if it can't partake in the internet, which is a social network writ
large, with all their friends, family on it. And you can't even begin to
think that someone should change all these social links!

<snip>
Post by TheVeech
There are many, very good, free web apps around: wordpress is the prime
example, being best of type in the blogging sphere.
There's Joomla and Drupal for CMS, which aren't too bad, either. Maybe
all the tools are there already and no-one's felt the need to adapt
them?
There are a lot of good, free tools (meaning web apps and services) out
there; the difficulty is finding them, amidst the large numbers of
unsupported, beta and plain crap apps.
Joomla and Wordpress are well-known, and have taglines at the bottom of
most installs, but what of the good but unknown? I remember it taking a
very long time to find a good, simple web-based email-announcement
system (and I found a very good one, Dadamail: http://mojo.skazat.com/ )
and am currently trying to find a decent web-based cataloguing system. t
should be as simple as searching synaptic or gnome files
http://www.gnomefiles.org/
Post by TheVeech
How anyone could get something off the ground, I don't know, but when
Ubuntu's site makes a principled statement, don't we believe it? That
level of trust would be something to aim for. If people had the
services our people are capable of producing, with the trust we can
offer, that'd be pretty unbeatable.
Right now, I think we have to start small, and simply co-ordinate
amongst ourselves before building vast edifices. That's the way of
building up the crucial quality of trust that you rightly emphasize.

John
Gregory Kirby
2007-05-10 11:53:15 UTC
HI Everyone,

My dual boot exercise worked a treat. And the ethernet connection was a
real eye opener. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The threads regarding OSS as a real alternative to Windows XP etc are
relevant to me as I am now struggling to make Ubuntu my default
operating system.

What is spurring me on is the support groups, such as this.

What is frustrating is to find a solution then discover it doesn't work.
For example my Brother 2030 drivers are available in Linux and so I go
get. But the file suffix doesn't tie up with the installer.

Another work around I am seeking is in openoffice I try and open an
access database and the program just closes on me.

And the big one is synching my Qtek 9100 with Evolution. It has a Palm
option but that doesn't work for me. As I have bluetooth I am going to
try and synch by that method.

Another aspect of the jump from Windows XP to Ubuntu is the fun of
trying to figure it all out myself. Something that XP takes out of the
mix.

Fun, now that is a word I haven't used in relation to work in a long
time....
Gregory
TheVeech
2007-05-10 13:21:28 UTC
Post by John Levin
Post by TheVeech
It'd help to see the new users coming along from different backgrounds
using their fresh eyeballs, too, to examine even more than this - things
we may have overlooked for years.
Absolutely. Just watch someone with little experience of the text
editors you get with Joomla or suchlike, and the process for making a
link is really difficult. (I don't use Joomla's editor, prefering to
write html, tags and all. It's quicker, and once you've learnt quite a
small vocabulary, you can get things done.)
Sod that. Let's write a book: 'Getting Nothing Done and Loving IT' :)

The thing about Drupal for me was that I wanted to play around with it
to see what it could do. I think you're right, that trying to master
HTML is the thing to aim for, but it helps if we're aware of some of
these tools as wells.
Post by John Levin
If people
can't play music, watch videos on youtube, ad nauseum, they're not going
to switch. The OS may be fine for what they do locally, but it's useless
if it can't partake in the internet, which is a social network writ
large, with all their friends, family on it. And you can't even begin to
think that someone should change all these social links!
I think it's related with so many things. Whenever we close a gap or
innovate, we're making the job easier for when people do things like
shows, distribute media, etc. It's like the beauty of being able to
promote Linux by having a popular app like Firefox to point to.
Post by John Levin
There are a lot of good, free tools (meaning web apps and services) out
there; the difficulty is finding them, amidst the large numbers of
unsupported, beta and plain crap apps.
Joomla and Wordpress are well-known, and have taglines at the bottom of
most installs, but what of the good but unknown? I remember it taking a
very long time to find a good, simple web-based email-announcement
system (and I found a very good one, Dadamail: http://mojo.skazat.com/ )
and am currently trying to find a decent web-based cataloguing system. t
should be as simple as searching synaptic or gnome files
http://www.gnomefiles.org/
I don't know about things like that - never had the need - but for
planning a site (or just playing around in the sandpit), I've found the
combination of:

Bluefish - http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html
Screem - http://www.screem.org/
FileZilla - http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
Nautilus - http://www.gnome.org/projects/nautilus/
Vym - http://www.insilmaril.de/vym/
Zim - http://pardus-larus.student.utwente.nl/~pardus/projects/zim/
GIMP - http://www.gimp.org/
and
Inkscape - http://www.inkscape.org/

a lot of fun. It makes the whole process enjoyable (it'll still be a
shite site, but at least I'm going to enjoy the ride and learn more
about the options!). If you can recommend any other tools, all the
better.
Post by John Levin
Right now, I think we have to start small, and simply co-ordinate
amongst ourselves before building vast edifices. That's the way of
building up the crucial quality of trust that you rightly emphasize.
Right. I think, as well, that some things we dream of have to wait for
the circumstances to make them more realistic and viable.

Toby Smithe
2007-05-09 18:20:11 UTC
Post by TheVeech
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UsingBZR is a little tutorial I wrote for the
UbuntuStudio team. Not that complex :)
TheVeech
2007-05-09 18:28:57 UTC
Post by Toby Smithe
Post by TheVeech
Post by Alan Pope
Post by TheVeech
Where can I submit some and what dimensions?
I dont think we have a process yet, but if we uploaded the whole site to bzr
then it would be nice to encourage members to use that for uploading
pictures. If nothing else it would increase awareness and use of
launchpad/bzr.
Dunno about bzr, TBH. I can see quite a few people looking at it and
not bothering. I'm not thinking about how easy or complex bzr may be,
but the potential gaps this highlights elsewhere.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UsingBZR is a little tutorial I wrote for the
UbuntuStudio team. Not that complex :)
Thanks. I've bookmarked this and Chris's page
(http://www.justuber.com/blog/2007/04/25/how-to-use-bazaar-and-launchpad-for-hosting-your-code/) for tomorrow. Productively, today's just disappeared!
TheVeech
2007-05-09 08:15:27 UTC
Post by Chris Rowson
Hey there,
I think it'll look great once it's been ported across to the new site
design, the site's looking really promising.
One thing that does strike me however is the banner across the top.
I'm not sure the ubuntu-uk logo needs repeating again in the banner.
That green thing is just pug ugly. But that's about the only visual
aspect I can be really negative about. It's a nice initial page. I
quite like the banner because it makes the page seem not to be
text-heavy, but it could be played with a bit. I think the arrangement
of the rest of the text is good, too.
Post by Chris Rowson
I'm not that fond of the picture of a mountain landscape either. It
seems a little out of place.
The images in the banner could do with filling in the available area.

Wonder if it'd be better to have uk-specific news and/or selected uk
members' blog posts on the first page with an about link instead. Even
though this new design is great for getting people involved in the
group, is there a compelling reason to return to the site? Then again,
is the page intended just for potential members? I know, e.g., posts
are available elsewhere, but I'm lazy/time-constrained and want it all
too easy.

Good thing about this thread is I've actually paid a bit of attention to
the site, because I didn't bother at first. Wonder how many people have
been similarly slack in this regard, and why?
Alan Pope
2007-05-09 07:36:11 UTC
Post by Michael Wood
Hi
As per the last ubuntu-uk meeting i've been working on the ubuntu-uk.org
website. Porting it over to the current ubuntu main page design and
adding some features.
- Drop down menu with all the wiki pages on
- Banner image rotates round various pictures of the UK
The development version of the site is at http://www.ubuntu-uk.org/dev/
Please post any feedback.
This is *totally* awesome!
Post by Michael Wood
Once this site is acceptable we can then switch it over to the live site.
Yuppers. Can we also get this checked into bzr so that other loco teams can
grab the code and make their loco sites look as great as ours ;)
Post by Michael Wood
Things to consider doing (longer term): Calendar, photo gallery and
integrating mailing list/planet/pastebin/forum/launchpad team? into main
page, getting it xhtml strict validating wai etc
Do it man, DO IT! :)

Cheers,
Al.
ajb35
ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/UKTeam/
Great work on the site :)
- The random UK images are a good idea
- I don't like the yellow/green Ubuntu-UK logo background
- In the menu down the left hand side you've typo'd Resources
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
<snip>
Great work on the site :)
- The random UK images are a good idea
- I don't like the yellow/green Ubuntu-UK logo background
Any ideas on what it should be replaced with ? I'd just been borrowing
graphics from : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/Projects so far.

There are rather a large number of ubuntu logos so something without the
ubuntu logo would probably be good, though i'm not sure what exactly.
- In the menu down the left hand side you've typo'd Resources
Thanks, Corrected

- Michael
--
/\/\ichael [ email at michaelwood.me.uk ]
\/\/ood [ http://michaelwood.me.uk ]
TheVeech
2007-05-09 18:15:16 UTC
Post by Michael Wood
<snip>
Great work on the site :)
- The random UK images are a good idea
- I don't like the yellow/green Ubuntu-UK logo background
Any ideas on what it should be replaced with ? I'd just been borrowing
graphics from : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/Projects so far.
No idea here, either, but there's someone on the forums who's posted
some banners - might get you thinking.
\/\/ood [ http://michaelwood.me.uk ]
john levin
2007-05-09 13:24:45 UTC
Post by Michael Wood
Hi
As per the last ubuntu-uk meeting i've been working on the ubuntu-uk.org
website. Porting it over to the current ubuntu main page design and
adding some features.
All very good.
Post by Michael Wood
- Drop down menu with all the wiki pages on
- Banner image rotates round various pictures of the UK
Can we have the photos centred in the top banner, just for neatnesses sake.
Post by Michael Wood
The development version of the site is at http://www.ubuntu-uk.org/dev/
Please post any feedback.
Presume you mean post feedback on this list.

Two typos: Reasources -> Resources (left sidebar heading)
memebers -> members (Our Pages, Ubuntu-UK team)

HTH

John
Michael Wood
2007-05-09 17:30:53 UTC
Post by Michael Wood
- Drop down menu with all the wiki pages on
- Banner image rotates round various pictures of the UK
Can we have the photos centred in the top banner, just for neatnesses sake.
Is that centred horizontally ?
At the moment it should be centred vertically already (if it's working),
if not then would it be possible to send me a screenshot showing what
you mean.
Post by john levin
Post by Michael Wood
The development version of the site is at http://www.ubuntu-uk.org/dev/
Please post any feedback.
Presume you mean post feedback on this list.
Yep
Post by john levin
Two typos: Reasources -> Resources (left sidebar heading)
memebers -> members (Our Pages, Ubuntu-UK team)
Corrected - Thanks
Post by john levin
HTH
John
Cheers,

Michael
--
/\/\ichael [ email at michaelwood.me.uk ]
\/\/ood [ http://michaelwood.me.uk ]
John Levin
2007-05-09 23:49:28 UTC
Post by Michael Wood
Post by john levin
Can we have the photos centred in the top banner, just for neatnesses sake.
Is that centred horizontally ?
There's something funny with the centering, related to the automatic
resizing of the image. Horizontally, between the yellow and red ends,
it's fine, though perhaps slightly off.

But vertically, if you decrease the width of the window, the image isn't
centred. And if you greatly enlarge the window, the image hangs down
below the header border.

Screenshots here:
www.technolalia.org/ubuukscreenshots/

HTH

John
Stephen Garton
2007-05-10 07:00:51 UTC
Post by Michael Wood
The development version of the site is at http://www.ubuntu-uk.org/dev/
Please post any feedback.
Just one point, is it wise to have the page title as "Ubuntu Home Page |
Ubuntu"? Surely there should be a "-uk" in there?

Cheers
--
Steve Garton
www.sheepeatingtaz.co.uk
Michael Wood
2007-05-10 10:42:33 UTC
Post by Stephen Garton
Post by Michael Wood
The development version of the site is at http://www.ubuntu-uk.org/dev/
Please post any feedback.
Just one point, is it wise to have the page title as "Ubuntu Home Page |
Ubuntu"? Surely there should be a "-uk" in there?
Cheers
Thanks, forgot about that. Changed to "Ubuntu UK Home Page"