A Windows Mobile- Ubuntufied?
Javad Ayaz
2008-09-01 08:34:07 UTC
Hello all,

Im taking delivery of a Samsung Omnia today which is running Windows Mobile.
Up till now ive never used Windows mobile and have only experience with
Symbian. BUT i have had experience with WINDOWS..so im dreading Windows
Mobile. The viruses. The lags. The BSOD. So i was wondering if anyone has
any experience in installing a Mobile version of ubuntu on a phone.

I know ubuntu mobile exists but i dont think theres any easy way of
installing it.

Eagerly awaiting your response on this....

On a side note im intended you utilize the wifi on this phone which means
linking up to my pc. How secure and easy to set up, is wifi in ubuntu? Ive
read of problems with setting up wifi in Ubuntu.

Regards

Javad
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Javad Ayaz
Im taking delivery of a Samsung Omnia today which is running Windows
Mobile. Up till now ive never used Windows mobile and have only experience
with Symbian. BUT i have had experience with WINDOWS..so im dreading
Windows Mobile. The viruses. The lags. The BSOD. So i was wondering if
anyone has any experience in installing a Mobile version of ubuntu on a
phone.
First question that springs to mind is "So why buy one?".
Post by Javad Ayaz
I know ubuntu mobile exists but i dont think theres any easy way of
installing it.
I have not seen Ubuntu Mobile run on any mobile phones. As I understand it,
Ubuntu Mobile is designed for mobile internet devices such as the Samsung
Q1, Nokia N800 or ASUS EEE PC (maybe not those specific devices, but devices
of their ilk), not for mobile phones.

Whilst it's possible to run something like Debian (and perhaps Ubuntu) on
the Neo Freerunner, I suspect that most of that is due to the device being
designed as Linux compatibile from the get-go. Other phones will be less
Linux friendly.
Post by Javad Ayaz
Eagerly awaiting your response on this....
Don't hold your breath. I dont anticipate Ubuntu Mobile running (and
working) on _any_ phone (with the possible exception of the freerunner) in
the next few months.

Cheers,
Al.
Javad Ayaz
2008-09-01 09:10:18 UTC
well in answer to your quesiton about why....well since my contract is
up..this is the new phone being offered to me. I was just wondering if
ubuntu would run on it. it has a 657mhz processor in there after all.
ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
Post by Javad Ayaz
well in answer to your quesiton about why....well since my contract is
up..this is the new phone being offered to me. I was just wondering if
ubuntu would run on it. it has a 657mhz processor in there after all.
Ask for a different phone?

My contract finished recently, I called Orange (my provider) to talk about a
new phone. Spent about a hour googling for models and specs before making a
decision.

Cheers,
Al.
Javad Ayaz
ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Javad Ayaz
WHAT did you go for in the end?
Nokia N82.

Cheers,
Al.
Javad Ayaz
2008-09-01 10:05:38 UTC
not a bad choice. N82 running symbian. Samsung Omnia running Windows mobile.

Im kinda bored of symbian now anyway!
Post by Alan Pope
Post by Javad Ayaz
WHAT did you go for in the end?
Nokia N82.
Cheers,
Al.
ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
Post by Alan Pope
Don't hold your breath. I dont anticipate Ubuntu Mobile running (and
working) on _any_ phone (with the possible exception of the freerunner) in
the next few months.
Unfortunately the ubuntu-mobile team have limited themselves by only
producing stuff for intel compatible processors.

The Freerunner is ARMv4 and therefore, whilst debian at FR may share
userland etc. It's not obvious that ubuntu-mobile will be available on
the Freerunner anytime soon.
Post by Alan Pope
Has anyone successfully installed Android? I wonder how usable it is.
At this point of time, Android is not open source. Without interesting
low-level hacking (armv5 vs. armv4), there's no way to use it on an
Openmoko device.
--
www.tdobson.net
----
has two ideas. - George Bernard Shaw
Alan Pope
2008-09-01 09:02:52 UTC
Post by Javad Ayaz
On a side note im intended you utilize the wifi on this phone which means
linking up to my pc. How secure and easy to set up, is wifi in ubuntu? Ive
read of problems with setting up wifi in Ubuntu.
Taking the subject of "wireless in Ubuntu" separately..

My father in law has a Windows Vista laptop. He is frequently sat next to me
on his laptop, whilst I am on my Ubuntu one. We are connected to the same
access point, the same net connection.

His drops, mine never does.

I know which I prefer.

Cheers,
Al.
Javad Ayaz
ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
sticking with this topic i want to ask a question...can i install a windows
app on windows mobile i.e Virtualbox, and then install a ubuntu mobile
version on that? and do a dual boot ...a bit like my pc..i could boot ubuntu
of a memory card.....

Apologies to everyone for repeating the same old question!!
ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
On 01/09/2008, *Javad Ayaz* <javadayaz at gmail.com
thank you . this answers this question :)
Post by Javad Ayaz
read of problems with setting up wifi in Ubuntu.
Taking the subject of "wireless in Ubuntu" separately..
My father in law has a Windows Vista laptop. He is frequently
sat next to me
on his laptop, whilst I am on my Ubuntu one. We are connected to the same
access point, the same net connection.
His drops, mine never does.
I know which I prefer.
Cheers,
Al.
--
ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
I'll be very honest.

No.

Windows Mobile.. see Ciemon's Blog Post.

SyncCE is the only thing that's worth using.
Alan Pope
2008-09-01 14:19:47 UTC
Post by Javad Ayaz
sticking with this topic i want to ask a question...can i install a
windows app on windows mobile i.e Virtualbox, and then install a ubuntu
mobile version on that? and do a dual boot ...a bit like my pc..i could
boot ubuntu of a memory card.....
No.

Virtualbox wont run on a mobile phone.

Cheers,
Al.
Robert McWilliam
2008-09-01 14:19:50 UTC
Post by Javad Ayaz
sticking with this topic i want to ask a question...can i install a windows
app on windows mobile i.e Virtualbox, and then install a ubuntu mobile
version on that? and do a dual boot ...a bit like my pc..i could boot ubuntu
of a memory card.....
Apologies to everyone for repeating the same old question!!
Short answer: no. "Windows mobile" and "Windows XP/Vista" are
completely different code bases. Marketing is what links them. It is a
similar situation to Windows XP vs ubuntu: apps have to have different
calls to interact with the OS.

There might be x86 emulators for Windows mobile but I doubt they'd
have the performance to run ubuntu as they will have to do full CPU
emulation, which is going to be very slow on an embedded CPU*. It
might be possible to build a virtualisation app that would let you run
ubuntu compiled for the CPU architecture in the device with reasonable
performance but that is likely to be a big undertaking.

Robert

* Don't read clock rates for embedded processors and think performance
will be comparable to a desktop processor with that clock
rate. Embedded chips tend to use simpler instructions so you get a
smaller chunk of work for each clock tick, they have simpler branch
prediction so are wrong more often, and tend to have less
parallelism in the hardware to save power. The lower performance is
to let the battery last more than the few minutes it could power a
desktop CPU.

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net www.ormiret.com

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."